Disabling touchpad
burock
2008-04-19 08:35:00 UTC
Hello,

I am trying to write a small program that will enable/disable the touchpad
of my laptop. I've been through the WMI documents and am convinced that this
can be done with WMI; but the exact solution keeps evading me.

Can you please inform me how can this be done? Source code (preferably in
c++) would be better for me if it is not troublesome.

thanks in advance.
Marty List
2008-04-20 03:50:47 UTC
I don't have any source code, but look into devcon.exe:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/library/0f087656-fb2e-4828-9630-e76051a0a6081033.mspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/311272
Note The source code for DevCon is also available in the Windows DDK (which
is available from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/ddk/default.mspx)
under DDK root\Src\Setup\Devcon, along with documentation.
thanks in advance.
burock
2008-04-21 13:11:05 UTC
Hello again,

Thanks for the leads. I am sure that they would be quite helpful if I were
dealing with other kinds of devices; but for touchpad, it did not do the
trick. I believe, the problem is related with that , in the Device Manager,
there is no "Disable" item in the context menu of the touchpad.

I found a solution by the way. Since the device is a synaptics product, I
paid a visit to synaptics website and found out that there is an SDK
available. Within the samples which are included in the SDK, there is a
sample called "Disabler", which does exactly what i want :)

But I think I am out of the topic already. Sorry for disturbing WMI group.